Crisp and cool like a breath of fresh air… that is Peppermint. This oil is incredibly versatile and one that we always want to have on hand. Support for tension, focus, digestion, airways, soothing the skin - there is much Peppermint can do for us!
JUST A DROP PEPPERMINT…
- Cools fatigued muscles after physical activity
- Produces a focused environment when diffused
- Provides a refreshing experience when mixed with your favorite shampoo
- Cools skin when applied after a warm day in the sun
- Supports and opens the airways
- Helps soothe digestive needs
Read on for more about why we love this oil and ways to use it daily…
Peppermint is a natural cross between water mint and spearmint. Originally native to Europe, peppermint is now grown mostly in the United States.
Peppermint Vitality essential oil has a minty, refreshing flavor and supports healthy digestive function and gastrointestinal comfort when taken internally. Peppermint and Peppermint Vitality are the same essential oil.
*Constituents are naturally occurring compounds in plants (and therefore essential oils) that give them specific health-supporting properties
- Menthol, Menthone: have been studied for is use to support healing and relief of minor aches and pains as well as airway support
PEPPERMINT & EMOTIONS
Peppermint oil also has strong emotional benefits! The bright, crisp aroma is wonderful to inhale to soothe anxious feelings, uplift the spirits, and calm racing thoughts and restlessness. When we inhale oils, the area of our brain dealing with memory and mood is affected, so diffusing or applying peppermint oil can help us tremendously. It's wonderful paired with citrus oils for a vibrant, uplifting aroma.
PEPPERMINT & RAINDROP
Peppermint is one of the key essential oils used in the Raindrop massage technique and is also a component of the oil blends used in this technique!
- Raindrop Roll-on:
- 10 drops each Oregano, Basil, Marjoram, Cypress Thyme, Wintergreen, Peppermint, Aroma Seiz
- 1-2 pumps OrthoEase
- Fill with carrier oil. Apply over the lymph nodes, along the spine, on the bottom of the feed as needed. Use frequently and consistently!
- Raindrop Detox Bath
- 6 cups Magnesium flakes or high quality epsom salt
- 10 drops of each: Oregano, Thyme, Basil, Wintergreen, Marjoram, Cypress, Peppermint, White Angelica, Aroma Siez
- Combine epsom salts and essential oils in a glass jar and mix well. When you are ready for a soak, add 1-2 cups of the mixture to a warm bath, and relax for at least 30 minutes.
- Peppermint Essential Oil
- Peppermint Vitality Essential Oil
- Peppermint Cedarwood Bar Soap
- Peppermint is also a key ingredient in the essential oil blends Aroma Siez, Clarity, DiGize, M-Grain, PanAway, and R.C. as well as the Ortho Sport Massage Oil.
Note: Peppermint and Peppermint Vitality are the same essential oil. Vitality oils are labeled for ingestion but contain the same oil as the non-vitality option.
DAILY HABITS WITH PEPPERMINT
Peppermint is an incredibly versatile oil and one you can use in many different ways in your home and health routines. Try some of these suggestions below, and check out the Peppermint Vitality Recipes resource linked below for some of our favorite ways to add peppermint to our food and drink! You can use Peppermint Vitality to add a dash of mint to any of your favorite recipes.
Add Peppermint to your natural home care routine
- Add a few drops to dryer balls for the fresh smelling laundry.
- Use peppermint in your DIY Laundry Scent Booster:
- To a large glass jar with airtight lid, add
- 1 1/2 cup epsom salt
- 1/2 cup baking soda
- 30 drops Peppermint (or mix Peppermint and Eucalyptus)
- Whisk together until all ingredients are well combined.
- To use: add 1-2 T. into the washer before adding any laundry. Add laundry and the normal amount of laundry detergent.
- Make a Mattress & Upholstery Spray to use when you change the sheets or anytime a surface needs a little freshening:
- 16oz glass spray bottle
- 1-2 tsp Thieves Household Cleaner
- 20 drops each Peppermint, Lavender, Eucalyptus Radiata, Tea Tree
- Filtered water
- Make this Freshen Up Thieves Cleaner recipe:
- 16oz glass spray bottle
- 1-2 capfuls Thieves Household Cleaner
- 10 drops each Eucalyptus Radiata, Rosemary
- 20 drops Peppermint
- Filtered water
Use Peppermint to support tension & muscles
- Apply it to your neck and shoulders or to tired muscles following physical activity for a cooling sensation.
- Add peppermint to an epsom salt bath and/or use for a post-workout massage to ease and support tired muscles.
- Whip up a simple DIY Massage Oil for tired legs, feet or other muscles as needed.
- 4oz pump bottle
- 20 drops Peppermint essential oil
- 10 drops Copaiba essential oil
- 10 drops Cypress essential oil
- Carrier of choice
- Make a Tension Roll-on. Give tired, tense, or sore muscles some love! One great thing about peppermint is that it actually helps support our muscles and tendons through the strain versus simply making the skin tingle like conventional pain creams! In a 10mL roller bottle add:
- 10 drops Peppermint
- 10 drops Panaway
- 10 drops Copaiba
- 5 drops Oregano or Marjoram
- Top with carrier. Apply frequently and consistently! Avoid getting too close to the eyes. If you get it in your eyes, rub with coconut oil or other carrier.
- Make a Head On Roller:
- 20 drops Peppermint, Copaiba, Lavender
- 10 drops Frankincense.
- Fill with V-6 carrier or carrier oil of choice and roll over temples, across the forehead, on the back of the neck and shoulders.
Use Peppermint for digestion, focus & first aid needs
- Add Peppermint Vitality to a vegetarian gel capsule and take daily to support healthy digestive function.
- Pair with DiGize Vitality in a capsule or in a large glass of water for digestive support.
- Make a simple Fresh Breath Spray with Peppermint Vitality:
- 10mL glass spray bottle
- 2 drops Peppermint, Spearmint
- Splash Thieves Mouthwash
- Fill with filtered water
- Shake well before use.
- Inhale Peppermint straight from the bottle while in a moving vehicle or as needed to soothe nausea.
- Make a Digest Roll-on. Throughout history peppermint has been used to calm and soothe digestive needs, so adding it to your digestive blends makes sense. In a 10 mL roller bottle add:
- 10 drops Peppermint
- 10 drops Lemon
- 10 drops Digize
- Top off with carrier oil. Apply over the abdomen as needed.
- Add a drop or two to the back of the neck to support alertness and focus. Also diffuse during school, homework or work time.
- Apply with coconut oil to the chest and back to support the airways. This is wonderful before lying down at bedtime. You can also add Lemon, Lavender, RC or Raven.
- Make a Seasons Change Roller for seasonal airway support
- 15 drops each Lavender, Lemon, Peppermint, Tea Tree, Copaiba
- Fill with carrier.
- Roll over the chest, wrists, just below the nostrils. This also makes a great combination for an epsom salt bath or a diffuser blend!
- Add a drop directly to the belly button to lower body temperature when needed.
Add Peppermint to your skin and self care routines
- Sprinkle a few drops in your shower for an awakening shower steam in the morning.
- Add a drop of Peppermint Vitality to your water for a refreshing start to your morning.
- Try this Rosemary Mint Hair Mask:
- ¼ cup avocado oil
- 10 drops Rosemary
- 5 drops Peppermint
- Optional: 5 drops Cedarwood (great for growth)
- Mix well and apply on hair starting at the ends. Let sit for up to 10 minutes then shampoo and condition as normal.
- After a long day in the sun (or too much sun!) dilute peppermint and apply to warm skin or make this simple After Sun Spray:
- GIve your tired feet some love with this Rosemary Peppermint Foot Scrub
- 2 Tbsp Organic Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 Tbsp of Honey
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- 3 drops Rosemary
- 2 drops Peppermint
- Mix ingredients well then rub onto feet. Wrap feet with warm damp towels and let sit for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes remove the towel and wipe off the scrub. Follow with moisturizer if desired.
Diffusing is a wonderful health habit! We have our diuser going almost 24/7 and love to choose blends that are supportive of individual needs or systems. Try some of these great combinations and enjoy the refreshing scent of peppermint!
- Seasons Change: 3 Peppermint + 3 Lemon + 3 Lavender + 3 Tea Tree
- Sugar Cookie: 4 drops Peppermint + 5 drops Stress Away
- Tension Melter: 3 drops Peppermint + 4 drops Lavender + 3 drops Frankincense
- Joyful Morning: 4 drops Peppermint + 4 drops Joy
- Seasons Change: 3 drops each Lavender, Lemon, Peppermint, 2 drops Tea Tree
- Ocean Breeze: 4 drops Peppermint, 3 drops each Lime, Lavender
Peppermint is one of the most versatile oils in our collection - we just love it! And we're not alone. Here are some stories from people who love Peppermint as well!
- “I took peppermint oil to the hospital with me when I had same day surgery. I tend to suffer a queasy stomach from anesthesia and ended up using it in the recovery area. My nurse said my room smelled like a spa.”
- “Peppermint is my bff when I start getting that "is it hot in here or is it just me" feeling.”
- “In the Florida heat, it can get tough to feel motivated and keep cool. We have been diffusing tons of peppermint and lemon. It is so refreshing. It is amazing to come in from a bike ride in the 110 degree heat index and instantly feel cooled by the smell of our house!”
- “Peppermint has always been one of my fav smells, even before I started using essential oils, so it is def one of my most used oils. I agree it is both comforting and energizing. Was used today to cool my baseball player down while playing three games in the TX heat.”
- “My son requests this at bedtime and at first I wasn't sure because I viewed it as an invigorating oil, but it actually works well!”
- “I love it in my coffee in the mornings! I started with 1 drop & am up to 3 now. Not only does it start my day aiding in my digestion, it wakes me up even more than caffeine! I also love diffusing it by itself or with almost anything else!”
- “I use it for head tension and to cool down. It's one I keep in my purse. Though at first I didn't like Peppermint, once I started using it, it became a favorite.”
- “I use Peppermint in the morning to get my day started!”
- “I drink it - 1 drop in water prior to going to the gym... makes me feel like I can breathe a little deeper during hard workouts. Bonus - good for the breath!”
- “Magical for all things tummy!”