Oh the life changing magic of sleep, something all of us need, something most of us aren't getting enough of, and something that is crucial for our little ones! Sleep is a sweet, beautiful, crucial part of each person's health.
There are often legitimate reasons why our children don't sleep well or enough, and when sleep is elusive, it can be frustrating. Luckily, there is a lot we can do to support them when it comes to getting good sleep!
DEVELOP A ROUTINE
So much of getting a good night's rest is in establishing a routine. Try to walk through the same steps each evening. This helps you create a habit and also creates cues for your child's brain that it's time to rest. Here are some tips that have helped us all get a full night's rest in our home:
- Keep the lights low and warm after dinner time. Think more ambient lighting and candles and avoid overhead lights if possible.
- Run your diffuser with calming oils or blends to help calm both mind and body. One great combination is Lavender, Tangerine and Northern Lights Black Spruce! You can also use Peace & Calming alone or with Tangerine.
- With the diffuser running, take a warm bath or shower (you can also add epsom salts + sleepy oils here!), then use Relaxation Massage Oil or Lavender Hand & Body Lotion all over. You can also add a drop or two of your favorite oil to the massage oil or lotion for an extra boost - we love Peace & Calming for this!
- Apply oils directly on the chests, wrists, neck, bottom of the feet just before bedtime. Peace & Calming, SleepyIze, Seedlings Calm, and Tranquil are some favorites for this.
- Run a ceiling fan, box fan, or sound machine to help drown out any noise if desired.
- Keep rooms cool (but not overly cold). Your body sleeps better when it has a cooler temperature.
- Make your bed a comfy, cozy space. Think soft textures that are inviting and feel good against your skin.
- Spray Seedlings Linen Spray or DIY pillow spray with your favorite sleep oils! Gently spray pillows, sheets, blankets.
This probably seems like a no brainer, but diffuse oils every night before bed and during sleep! Some of our favorite sleep oils are Lavender, Frankincense, Valor, Peace & Calming, Vetiver, Roman Chamomile, Tangerine, Northern Lights Black Spruce and Cedarwood. You can use any combination of these or try one of these ideas!
- 3 drops each Frankincense, Valor, Tangerine, Lavender
- 4 drops Roman Chamomile, 3 drops each Lavender, Tangerine, 2 drops Frankincense
- 5 drops Peace & Calming, 4 drops Lavender, 2 drops Tangerine
- 4 drops each Cedarwood, Lavender, Vetiver
- 4 drops each Cedarwood, Northern Lights Black Spruce, Lavender
- 5 drops Northern Lights Black Spruce, 3 drops each Lavender, Release (great for when worry is your companion),
Grab your favorite sleepytime oils and apply them to the bottom of the big toe (the nerve endings that connect to the brain end here!), to the wrists and neck, and to the chest. You can use the same oils listed above alone or in any combination or try one of Young Living's pre-made roll-ons.
- KidScents SleepyIze: Lavender, Geranium, Roman Chamomile, Tangerine, Bergamot, and Sacred Frankincense combine for a blend that helps your child settle in and sleep tight.
- Peace & Calming: This combo of Blue Tansy, Orange, Tangerine, Patchouli, and Ylang Ylang is a fan favorite. It smells amazing, and the Blue Tansy is specifically calming to the Central Nervous System!
- Cedarwood: This warm, woodsy oil can help us slow down our brain waves to set the stage for rest. Pair with Lavender or Peace & Calming.
- Tranquil: a blend of Lavender, Roman Chamomile and Cedarwood that creates a calming, serene and peaceful feeling.
For those nights when sleep is super elusive, there are a couple supplements that can help!
- KidScents Unwind: KidScents Unwind is specially formulated for children to help promote a calm and relaxed state, reduce restlessness, and improve focus and mental clarity at home and in the classroom. Think of Unwind like an essential oil-infused version of popular magnesium powders!
- ImmuPro: For older children, try ImmuPro. This supplement is a blend of Ningxia wolfberry, reishi, maitake, and agaricus blazei mushroom powders as well as melatonin to boost immunity and help you rest when you need it most.
KIDS DILUTION RATIOS
We almost always recommend diluting on little ones, especially if you are just getting started with oils! You can always apply more if needed! These are the suggested dilution ratios straight from Young Living.:
- Age 0-1: dilute at 1/8 the labeled concentration
- Age 2-6: dilute at 1/4 the labeled concentration
- Age 7-11: dilute at 1/2 the labeled concentration
- Age 12+: full labeled concentration